Friday, June 24, 2011

Evangelion (Neon Genesis Evangelion)


Another robot! But this one is a bit different. Rather then base it off it's original design the client asked me to make it based off of a figurine.


The client wanted it to go with the cosplay and probably something a little bit more cute. There was a few changes that I was asked to make, to try and make the colors a bit more like it's original design.


The shape and form was much simpler then the process I'd go into making a normal robot plush. In this case I tackled it more like an animal, because the shape reminded me more of a cat or dog hunched over. The bottom legs have the same shape as Lockjaw. The eyes are buttons of course, if I can include buttons I will. For the shape of the face, I thought it be simpler if I made the odd antenna looking part on top of his head a separate piece and then attach it, which I'm pleased with the shape.

The mouth is basically just sewn on, because it would be easier to match up and sew, plus it allowed the mouth to stand out more.

Probably the most tedious part was making the tubes on his back. Most of it had to be sewn by hand and then attached by hand. It's not difficult, just a bit repetitive, and it can really cause a cramp in your hand!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Metal Gear Ray (Metal Gear Solid 2)


It's been a little bit since I posted. I was hunting down for more commissions and I got a sizable list, so I started working! The first one on that list was Metal Gear Ray. I had been wanting to make him for a while, since I made Rex, but I really never had the chance or opportunity. But then someone commissioned me for Ray and I was all too excited to make it.


Ray was interesting, because his shape is so different. Rex I could break down into a lot of square or rectangle shapes, but Ray was a bit more round and organic in shape. He had a bird/aquatic type shape to him. The hardest part to figure out was what I was going to do with the face. His face was broken up into so many parts, I just ended up simplifying it into one square shape sewing in a design to replicate the mouth. The heart buttons are left over from when I was making a bunch of Rex, and they add and extra cute touch to him.

I chose a brighter red color because that particular shade of organish-red wasn't really easy to find, so I had to make due and go with a brighter red instead.

The tail has a wire in it so it's bendable and posable. It also acts as support for the body so he could stand on his feet. I chose to tilt his wings down rather then up for balance, so he could actually support himself and stand on his feet, rather then fall over.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how he turned out! I wish I had a Rex around to take photos of them together.